We are home! Oh yeah, I didn’t even tell you I was gone…well, if I can excuse myself, things were happening too fast, I barely had time to recover from the amazing Good Food Festival and a few days later we were kicking the road for our so expected spring break road trip towards the East coast.
And because I know how bad I can be in communicating things, I finally created an Instagram account. You can now follow me for instant updates and also to check and start guessing our road trip itinerary thought the pictures I posted there during this past week.
Now let’s talk about spring or at least dream about it. The stubborn Chicago winter is still making warm dishes a must even in April. So, to gather both seasons, I pulled out this soup for you, peas briefly cooked in an aromatic and slightly smoked broth and garnished with roasted cauliflower, everything paired with pork sausage and bulgur meatball in a intent to reduce the amount of meat I usually cook with. Hope you like it!
Pea soup with pork sausage and bulgur meatballs
About 4 servings
For the soup
1 pound frozen peas
1 onion, chopped
5 garlic gloves, chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp salt
1 box (2lb) chicken stock
4 stalk green onions, chopped
8oz ground Italian sausage
½ cup bulgur
Garnish – Roasted Cauliflower (optional)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 oz grated parmesan
1. Start with the meatballs. Soak bulgar in water for about half an hour or until it is soft. Drain well using a strain or pressing the cereal against your fingers. Combine soaked and drained bulgur with ground Italian sausage and green onions. Shape into 20 meatballs and reserve.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and sauté until browned on all sides, about five minutes (the cooking process will be finished into the soup, don’t worry). Transfer them to a plate and reserve.
3. To make the garnish, preheat the oven to 400˚F. Remove the leaves and cut off the lower part of the steam of half cauliflower. Cut the cauliflower in thin slices and arrange them evenly in a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Place the baking sheet into the oven and roast for about 15-20 minutes or until the florets are nicely caramelized. Set aside.
4. For the soup start by pre-cooking the peas briefly to retain and ensure a vibrant color. Cook the peas for about 1 minute in a medium sauce pan of boiling water. Drain, transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process, drain again and set aside.
5. Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions, chopped garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, pre-cooked peas, paprika, salt, black pepper and meatballs. Bring to a boil and let it cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Serve warm garnished with roasted cauliflower.